VAGINAL REJUVENATION with VOTIVA
Aging is inevitable, and most people tend to think of it in terms of changes in their skin, their weight, their mental function and athletic abilities. Historically, aside from the prevalence and popular ads regarding Viagra, reproductive/sexual wellness and function have fallen somewhat wayside but that is now changing! Women’s magazines, blogs, physicians and celebrities are speaking out about women’s gynecological health with aging (hello Grace and Frankie?).
Changes in both appearance and function are totally normal, but can change day by day which can be disconcerting! So following puberty, what’s generally normal?
- In your 30’s (or following childbirth)
- Pelvic floor muscles can weaken and distend; this can lead to incontinence and lack of support in activities.
- Vaginal tears can occur with birth – this can also change the outer appearance.
- Redundant tissue can appear following children or just as a part of age
- Hormones, particularly post-partum estrogen, can increase dryness (although this may just be temporary).
- In your 40’s and 50’s
- Perimenopause (5-10 years before menopause) keeps up with estrogen. Estrogen keeps collagen and surrounding soft tissue flexible and healthy which promotes good blood flow to the area.
- When estrogen levels start to decrease, the tissue gets thinner and less flexy. Less lubrication is produced. Following menopause (on average this occurs at 51) the vagina and clitoris can diminish in size with labia becoming less full (this can increase the appearance of sagging or increase ‘hang’). These changes can be related to vulva-vaginal atrophy – an occurrence that can cause sex to become painful.
- In your 60’s and 70’s
- Continued increase in atrophy and consequent dryness is to be expected – however, there is good news!
Breaking the silence on these female issues is happening across a broad front, from increased publication and research, popular writings in blogs and magazines, female-specific sexual wellness products such as lubricants. Conversations about personal dryness, tissue laxity, burning sensations, itching, discomfort during sex, and even urinary incontinence can make life extremely difficult, embarrassing and may also take a toll on your relationships, both social and intimate.
Plastic Surgical Associates offers feminine rejuvenation with the Votiva system: a safe, effective treatment for feminine health that offers immediate results with continued improvement over time.
What can be done?
- Elasticity and wrinkle appearance of the labia and vulva
- Low blood flow and sensitivity
- Pain sensation caused by labial hypertrophy
- Level of sexual interest and self esteem
- Weakening of the vaginal muscles
‘Feminine rejuvenation’ covers a lot of ground within a single term, but frequently refers to non- or minimally-invasive platforms that address the causes of the above concerns, rather than simply the symptoms. Votiva is an FDA approved radio-frequency (RF) based platform by InMode that uses a FormaV ‘wand’, gently inserted into the vaginal canal, to heat and stimulate the cells of the vagina and vulva. This stimulation encourages tissue remodeling through increased collagen production in the area, thereby restoring elasticity, promoting increased blood flow and vaginal lubrication. This treatment requires no anesthesia and takes just a few minutes to perform. Although results can be felt immediately, improvement will continue over the following weeks. This process of rejuvenation induces the vaginal tissue to become more supple and elastic, while restoring moisture and natural lubrication. Women can sometimes notice a difference after their first treatment, although significant improvement is typically seen after three sessions with Dr. Laurie Niles.
Who would be performing this?
Nobody understands the intimate changes that occur to the female body like another woman. Life can create changes that can affect the look, feel and function of their vaginas. These changes can affect a woman’s lifestyle and self-esteem. Previously, women did not have many options to improve these issues. Dr. Laurie Niles, DNP will work with each woman to create a personalized treatment plan to achieve her desired outcome.
Does it hurt?
You can expect to feel a heating sensation during treatment.
Might I be a candidate?
Women who are experiencing changes to their vaginal health post-menopause are generally the idea Votiva candidate. However, patients who also have a history of estrogen-sensitive cancer (like many breast cancers) or others who don’t like to use estrogen-based creams or lubricants may be candidates when experiencing vaginal atrophy, personal dryness or uncomfortable tightness, urinary incontinence and/or uncomfortable sexual intercourse.
How much does Votiva cost?
A single session of Votiva is $1,100, however, if purchased in a package of 3 (the usual number of treatments needed for desired goals to be met), the package price is $3,000. More sessions are available based on personal preferences and desires – we recommend at least 4-6 weeks between treatments.
LEARN MORE ABOUT VOTIVA VAGINAL REJUVENATION IN FORT COLLINS
Women considering vaginal rejuvenation often feel more comfortable discussing their goals with a female plastic surgeon (Dr. Diane Duncan) or female FNP (Dr. Laurie Niles). We understand that pursuing options in this area takes courage, and recognize it’s not necessary to simply sit back and accept changes to your body if it creates unhappiness or negatively impacts life and lifestyle. As a board-certified female plastic surgeon, Dr. Diane Duncan or board certified DNP, Dr. Laurie Niles can work with you to develop a personalized vaginal rejuvenation plan with the non-surgical Votiva radio-frequency treatment. Contact our office today to schedule your consultation at Plastic Surgical Associates of Fort Collins, P.C.